By Mary Meyer, M.S., CCC-SLP
This year’s ASHA Convention is likely to be the most unique that we have seen in recent years. If you are planning to attend the convention in-person this year, here are a few tips that will help you travel and attend the convention comfortably.
- Bring a Slim Portable Power Bank. There is nothing more convenient than being able to charge your portable device (whether it be a phone or tablet) on the go. If you do happen to need a recharge at the ASHA Convention, stop by the Xceptional Learning booth to take advantage of our charging station and to chat with our speech-language pathologists about teletherapy!
- Wear Comfortable Shoes and Bring Layers. This is NOT the time to break in a new pair of shoes or pull out those stilettos! Make sure you can walk comfortably for a few miles in the shoes you choose to bring. Also, the temperatures can be chilly in some lecture halls (Brrrr!) but crowded and warm in others. Dressing in layers can help you stay comfortable while you network and learn!
- Bring Your Own Snacks and a Water Bottle. Mary Meyer, a speech-language pathologist with Xceptional Learning, brings an empty water bottle to the airport to fill up at a water refill station (after getting through security) and to refill at the convention center. She also recommends bringing some non-perishable snacks on the plane to prevent those “hangry” feelings! Having snacks and a water bottle at the convention center can also come in handy when those lunch lines get long!
- Try to arrive early to sessions. Some sessions tend to fill up quickly, and due to safety requirements related to COVID-19, we can only expect that social distancing will reduce the amount of seating available in each lecture hall. Give yourself plenty of time to get to your sessions and have a backup session planned just in case your first choice is full.
- Give yourself plenty of time to go through the exhibit hall, and visit the XceptionalLEARNING booth – #919! Yes, we will be there, and we would LOVE to see you! Feel free to come introduce yourself and ask us questions about how to streamline your therapy practice! We will be trying out some fun activities and games on the teletherapy session platform, so be sure to bring your competitive spirit!
- Safety first! Don’t forget to pack your masks and hand sanitizer! Mary swears by bringing a travel-size pack of hand wipes in her carry-on and packing her liquid sanitizers in her checked bag to save space in her liquids bag. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends using a hand sanitizer or hand sanitizing wipe that contains at least 60% alcohol.
If you are unable to attend the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention this year and are looking for an inexpensive online alternative to earning CEUs, be sure to check out the incredible XceptionalLEARNING Course Collection. It is an amazing value at $59.99 for a year of unlimited CEUs; a fraction of the cost of the online ASHA Convention for ASHA members. (HINT: stop by booth #919 during the convention or visit our VIRTUAL BOOTH and get a coupon code for $20 off the Course Collection, making it only $39.99!)